Feb 23, 2013

Chapter 5 shipwreck - bye bye Madeleine, hello Celia!

Chapter 5 has been causing a lot of problems over the last few days. And it's still unwritten, although the content is quite clear, it's the chapter where we get to meet the villain of the piece, Colonel Ivan Kaiec for the first time.
This shouldn't be a problem, I've already written about him in one of my short stories ('Good Stuff - Colonel Ivan Kaiec') so I know what he's like.

But the difficulty has been that logically this chapter should have been told in the first person and I suddenly realised that I was increasingly uncomfortable about mixing first person narrative (chapter 1 and 2) with 3rd person narrative (the rest).

So,  finally I decided to go for everything being 3rd person narrative. This means that I decided to rework the first two chapters so that they are consistent with the other chapters. You may like to look at them again to see what you think.

Oh yes! And I hope nobody is going to be upset about this, but after various discussions with creative associates I've changed Madeleine's name to Celia. Slightly regretfully, I must admit, but it avoids slightly annoying abbreviations like  'Maddie' and - overall - I think the new name will lead to a successful conclusion of this project. 

Anyway, all these changes have necessitated a lot of housework on the blog to make sure anybody reading the chapters didn't become hopelessly confused. But tomorrow I believe I can finally start on Chapter 5 with a greater chance of success. Keep your fingers crossed.

4 comments:

  1. I know most publishers frown on mixing the narrative styles. However I think it depends on the functions of the chapter. And the percentage split of the whole piece. OF course the feel of a first and third person narrative is different.
    But often Prologues in first person or emulating the device used in "plays" as narrative introduction of scenes, between scenes.
    Introducing back story, leads into another scene (in a novel) work for me anyway. So as an introduction to the BIG bad villain, I would say why not. As long as you do not loose "your/the voice" of the text.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi James,

    I must admit that at first I've been shocked by the prospect of loosing Madeleine. It is funny that you can grow fond of fictitious persons. But now I have to admit that Celia does very well too ;-)
    Also I feared that the first two chapters would loose some of their personal touch through the change from first person narrative to third person narrative. But luckily they did not.
    Now we hope that Celia, Franz and Maximilian are best prepared to cope with their adventures.

    Lotte

    ReplyDelete
  3. Serves me right for being absent from your blog for 5-6 weeks and reading the new entries top to bottom that I was very intrigued by the new character, Celia, only to find that behind this sophisticated Dr Thomas is no one else but good old Madeleine ;-)

    Gottwald - Franz
    Madeleine - Celia
    JRT Schofield - ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'Good ole Madeleine'??!!
    You make her sound like an Arkansaw redneck.

    JRT Schofield might turn into Marveen Broadsilk - writer of historical romances. You never know.

    J

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?